Occasionally not remembering what they want to say, having difficulty coming up with the word that they want to say, or using the wrong word is normal. If your parents begin to show the following signs more frequently, however, it may be time to discuss these issues with their doctor:
- Difficulty following a conversation
- Difficulty joining in on a conversation
- Stopping when talking and then not being able to start again or not knowing what they were talking about
- Repeating themselves frequently
- Seeming to have a much more limited vocabulary
- Using the wrong word frequently or coming up with nonsensical words or sounds to replace words
- Not being able to write out their thoughts
- Struggling with spelling
- Not being able to effectively communicate through writing
It can be frustrating to care for a senior who is struggling with communication. Strive to show patience and to not put pressure on your aging parent. The care of an elder care provider can be instrumental in ensuring that your parent gets the care that they need while also feeling supported and acknowledged. The dedicated time that this care provider can give to your parent will ease stress and anxiety and help your parent to focus more on their communication even when they are having difficulties.
Elder care can be a fantastic way to help your aging parent achieve and maintain a better quality of life as they age in place. An elderly home care services provider can be with your aging parent on a customized schedule to ensure that they have access to the level of care, support, and assistance that is right for them as they cope with their individual needs, challenges, and limitations, and seek out more independence and fulfillment throughout their later years. As their family caregiver this can give you tremendous peace of mind knowing that your aging parent will be able to pursue a lifestyle that is active, engaged, and healthy, while also knowing that they will have all of the care that they need both when they are with you and when they are not.
IF YOU OR AN AGING LOVED-ONE ARE CONSIDERING HIRING IN-HOME ELDER CARE IN PARADISE VALLEY, AZ, PLEASE CALL THE CARING STAFF AT GOLDEN HEART SENIOR CARE SCOTTSDALE. WE ARE HERE TO HELP!